I’ve been very quiet on here recently – I have no excuses! I am still cooking, I just haven’t been very happy with the photos that I have been taking of my food and also too tired to post after cooking.
In an effort to get back, here are my favourite recipes that I have made recently
Homemade Pho – this recipe is vegetarian but we had chicken to use up so added (cooked) chicken after making the soup. This recipe is gluten-free and tastes almost exactly like restaurant pho. It was AMAZING.
Wilted Kale and Roasted Potato Salad – I’m lazy and actually like raw kale so I didn’t wilt the kale. I also used a combination of sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. The potatoes get really crispy and the dressing is delicious. Perfect salad for when you actually want french fries
Loaded Buffalo Potato Chicken Casserole – I actually have yet to make this with chicken. This is 0% healthy and 100% delicious.
Paneer Peas Curry – I made this last night and we will be making it again soon. Also I skipped about 3 steps and just sort of went with it and it absolutely worked.
What’s the favourite thing you have made recently?
I don’t know why I am calling these lazy, because they actually took a lot of prep work. And way too many dishes for a meal for one person who doesn’t own a dishwasher. However, they are WORTH it. Seriously. Also I didn’t take a final photo because I used gluten-free tortilla shells that I didn’t defrost properly so they completely fell apart. It’s ok though. Enchilada casserole!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or a whole chicken- if you use a whole chicken, cook it for about an hour)
- 1 onion, – 1/2 sliced, 1/2 diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- water to cover the chicken
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 can beans
- 1 jar of salsa (or you could make your own)
- jarred jalapeños, to taste (I used about 6)
- 6-8 tortilla shells
- shredded cheese
- equal parts cumin, paprika, and chipotle powder
Put chicken in a pot with sliced onion, garlic, and water to cover. Bring to a boil and let cook (about 25 minutes for the breasts, an hour for a whole chicken).
- Shred cooked chicken (and get rid of the onions in the chicken broth. Or reserve the broth to use in another recipe.
- In a large bowl, mix rice, chicken, beans, cilantro, lime juice, jalapenos, onion, about 1/4 of the salsa, and the seasonings.
- Cover bottom of a casserole dish with salsa (thinly cover)
- Place one tortilla on the bottom, fill with rice mixture, and roll up. Repeat with all of the tortillas, putting them up against each other to keep them from opening.
- Top with remaining salsa and shredded cheese
- cook in the oven at 400 for about 15-20 minute, or until cheese is bubbly
- Oh! And if you were planning on freezing these, cook without the cheese on and less salsa.
- bullet points, why won’t they go away?