I am calling this Moroccan because the inspiration came from a Moroccan recipe, but I obviously looked at the recipe for about 2 seconds and then thought “I’ve got this” and went on with my grocery shopping. So this may or may not be Moroccan, but it is certainly delicious. Also it’s perfect if you want to eat a bunch of vegetables because you can really put anything in this.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 cups of cooked quinoa
- 4 stalks of kale (rip the kale from the stalk and tear into chunky pieces)
- 1 small eggplant
- 2 small golden beets (or 1 big one. Also you could use regular beets)
- 1 carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 1 lemon
- about half a bunch of cilantro
- a bunch of mint. Really you could use however much you want. I used about 3/4 of one of those plastic containers at the grocery store
- 1 orange
- 2-3 tbsp of cumin
- oil for cooking
- 1 can of chickpeas/1-2 chicken breasts cooked/up to you- I used chickpeas but if you use chicken, cook it first and then add when I add the chickpeas).
To start: in a small pot or pan, put a small amount of water and bring it to a boil (I used about 1/2 cup of water). Add the carrot and beet, let boil for about 5-10 minutes, or until soft.
In a large pot, use a little bit of oil on the bottom and bring up to medium heat (about 5). add the zucchini and eggplant. Let cook for about 5 minutes, or until they are starting to get visibly cooked. Add kale and cumin. mix around and let cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add chickpeas and softened beet/carrot mixture. Bring to low and let cook for another 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, add juice of 1 lemon to cooked quinoa and mix around. Add in chopped herbs and veggie mixture when it’s done. Top with orange slices to eat.