When the morning weather forecast tells me that today’s temperature will only be 1 degree higher than it was when I woke up, nothing will work better than knowing I am coming home to a big bowl of soup. Obviously I have soup in my freezer but I didn’t want that- I wanted something different (life of waste, I tell ya!)
So I decided to try a recipe that my boyfriend’s mom made for us this weekend- a vegetable soup with quinoa and wild rice – the grains get bigger the longer that they’re sitting in the soup so make sure to keep this in mind when deciding to use extra grains.
I used what was in my fridge- sweet potatoes and carrots- but you could add lots of extra veggies into here and it would be delicious. Be creative!
- 6 cups chicken or veggie broth
- 1 cup wild rice and quinoa mixed (or 1/2 cup of each)
- 2 carrots, quartered and cut into 1/2 inch long pieces
- 1 sweet potato, quartered and cut into 1/2 inch long pieces
- 1 leek, quartered and cut into 1/4 inch long pieces
- salt and pepper to taste (my broth was unsalted, but check to see if yours is already salted- you might not need to add anything!)
In a large pot, combine everything. It will look like this:
Now turn the heat on high and bring the pot to boil.
Once it’s been brought to a boil, reduce heat to very low and cover. Let sit for about 20 minutes. Or longer. But at least 20 minutes.
Great with grilled cheese or a salad!